Saturday, February 2, 2013

Addelyn Can Read

Although I am a teacher I have learned not to push my kids if they aren't showing interest  From an early age Spencer knew his letters and shortly after his sounds. He always has a great memory. I remember going over and over the letter A with Addy and as soon as I thought she had it the next day she would forget again. She finally learned her letters and sounds by watching LeapFrog Letter Factory. Spencer could have been reading before kindergarten, but when I would get out books to read with me he never showed much interest. The teacher in me does want them to be at the top, but I also want them to have fun and enjoy being a kid. While I am known to make sure they are not rushing, trying their best, and doing what is expected, I try not to push them beyond what is needed for their grade level.
So I was pleasantly surprised when Addy started reading. Spencer has been bringing home books to read and Addy has picked up on many of the words. She always wants to read his books and I am impressed with how quickly she catches on. She seems to really enjoy it and it will be fun to see her progress even more in kindergarten.
 I have recorded her 3 times reading and each time something happens! The first time you couldn't hear her with the babies crying in the background. The 2nd time she did SO well and she was laughing and being so cute, but to my dismay it never recorded. Today I tried again and for some reason my camera kept stopping in the middle of her reading, but I am going to share it anyway because I am super proud of her. 





6 comments:

shawn said...

Good job Addy!

Deliliah said...

Tim and I were amazed with her reading ability when she was up last time. She showed us in the books which words she could read on that page. So as we read when we came to that word we let her read it. She did great. WE did the same with Spencer. He got the hard words of course. WE were please with them both. Smart Kids.

Gordon and Robyn said...

impressive!

Shian said...

Wow! Hooray Addy!

Sarah Osborne said...

You must be so proud!

Chris and Tara said...

She's good for being so young. I love that you want them to be at the top. I think that is very important as a parent to help them strive to be their best. :)