Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Remember When (for Clif)

1. As a comment on my blog, leave one memory that you and I had together. It doesn't matter if you knew me a little or a lot, anything you remember!2. Next, re-post these instructions on your blog and see how many people leave a memory about you. It's actually pretty funny to see the responses. If you leave a memory about me, I'll assume you're playing the game and I'll come to your blog and leave one about you. If you don't want to play on your blog, or if you don't have a blog, I'll leave my memory of you in my comments.

12 comments:

Gordon and Robyn said...

"You're a mean one, Mr. Clif" sung to the tune of the Grinch song.
I remember when you were on your mission and I wasn't very faithful about writing you so you sent me that terrible, horrible, mean scripture that rebuked me for my neglect or something like that. I bawled and sat down right then to write a lettter. Only later did I find out you were joking with me.
I remember I would always try to get you to play Barbies with me when we were little and you would but you would always, always always only be the DOG!
I remember playing MicroMachines on the rocks behind the wood buring stove in Kearns.
I remember I loved playing with you.

Shian said...

The first thing I think of when I think of you is chickens. "When you make your own world in the next life, you can shape it like a chicken if you want. But stop talking about them right now."

Bigick!

You used to change the oil in my car when you did yours.

A stupid deer ran out and hit your jeep on the drive home from buying it. Robyn and I were crying because we felt so bad. You didn't get mad or anything. You just said, "oh well," and coasted the rest of the way home because the radiator was leaking.

The old black car that had the hooks to hold the hood down. How many times did you have replace that windshield?

You were a good sport letting us dress you like a girl when you were tiny because we thought we wanted a sister instead.

Remember how we did NOT get along when we lived in Vegas? Why was that?

You and Robyn loved the cockroach squashing walks at night in Las Vegas. Tara and I were disgusted.

I used to always tell you that I knew you wanted to marry a girl just like me.

I loved to do my "these are my jammies" dance for you every night. You pretended you were trying to sleep, but I know deep down inside you wanted to get up and dance with me.

I also remember trying to get you to play barbies with us. Sometimes you would be the horse, but usually the dog.

You always said you wanted to "dig ditches" when you grew up.

Since you didn't like to read, I would read out loud to you. It looked like you weren't paying any attention, but when I asked what I had just read, you could recite word for word the last two paragraphs. It blew me away!

When you left on your mission, you told Mom you would speak any amount of time, if she would only write your talk. I also remember how scary that talk was to you. But when you came home, it was so easy.

The Blue Harlot! The couch in one of your mission apartments. What was the reasoning for that name? Something about how it was soft and comfy and would tempt you to stay there and not do your work? You even took a part of the fabric where it was torn and made a tie.

Even though you never met Gavin until just before he turned two, you seemed like you had always known each other. He took right to you. And I daresay, you liked him too.

You always manage to hurt yourself, but just shrug it off.

Chris and Tara said...

I'm glad you're loving it so far. I didn't guess anything when I erad the book. There were several BIG things that I didn't catch on to until minutes after! I'm not so smart Ü Let me know when you're done so we can talk about it. Woo hoo.
Also, I got my super cute shoes at Payless several weeks ago. Chris's' sister came home with them and I thought they were so cute that we went the next day and bought me some. Ü

Chris and Tara said...

I'm going to leave all my memories tomorrow. I think that's a good Sunday thing to do: reminisce about family. Ü

Chris and Tara said...

I think my list might be a little longer than Shian's so I hope you're comfortable Ü I remember:

Your Einstein hair from standing under the swamp cooler

Coloring on the underside of that little round-ish table

When you fell with that pipe in your throat. OUCH!

How cute you were with Wesley when he was a baby

How much you played nintendo in Veags (but not as much as that Nathan kid, he was crazy addicted)

Playing battleship with you

You riding your big wheel while we rode our bikes

When we first moved to Wellsville and we had those tall weeds in the backyard that we would 4-wheel through

Daring to go in to Grandpa Frank's chicken coop. But then, you've always had a special place in your heart for chickens Ü

Swinging in Grandma and Grandpa's orchard

How fearless you always were jumping on the tramp

Watching you "play the drums" on everything when you first got your drumsticks

When we would have to squish down into the foot area of dad's old truck because there wasn't space for us on the seat.

On that same note, opening that wierd hole near the truck floor and letting the wind blow in our faces

Your love for micro machines and leggos

You and Dad killing the cockroaches with those big rubber bands when we would go walking at night in Vegas. Shian was right, we did think it was SO disgusting

Shooting those plastic eggs from that cloth hen with our mouths (at each other) and not bothering to even wipe them off between shots

How cute you were holding Gavin after in Georgia and how quickly he loved you

How often you would make German pancakes, lemon bars and fried rice. You're quite the cook

Going to pick you up at the end of your mission. We were so excited to see you. I still remember the feeling of waiting in the van outside the house because we got there a little too early

Seeing you as a dad. You have always been so good with kids

I love you, bro. You always make me laugh. And even though you don't say it back very often, I know you love me, too. Ü

Shian said...

Wow, Tara beat me. I'd forgotten about you shooting those nasty plastic eggs at each other. I never did it. I was old enough to be grossed out. How did germ-o-phobe Robyn ever do it? I'll have to remind her just to hear her reaction.

Emily Youngdell said...

I remember playing with Tara and Cif daily! I fondly remember Clif's big wheel and I do believe you even let me ride it. You guys were such great neighbors.

Gordon and Robyn said...

I forgot a few things (well a lifetime of things actually but...)
Remember going on the big blue "zipper" behind the four wheeler, winter or summer?
Tara made me think of this. When ever I say "I love you" you say "dito" or "uh-huh". When I got my wisdom teeth out I stayed down in the computer room. One time when you were leaving that house I said bye to you and you said "bye, I love you" back to me. I guess maybe you thought I said it quiet enough that I wouldn't hear or that I was so drugged up that I wouldn't remember. Well I do and it meant a lot to me.

Deliliah said...

When you were really little, you didn't want to play with the dollies in the stroller. You wanted to turn the stroller upside down and play with it.

In 2nd grade, your teacher had a crush on you because you reminded her of Paul Newman. I think her name was Mrs. Bradshaw.

Blond hair

Wearing your daddy's cowboy clothes from when he was little.

Walking through the mission home door and giving you a big hug.

Touring the mission home.

Picture you sent home of the garage door with the cut-outs for truck mirrors

Swinging on the rope down by the railroad track in your secret swimming hole.

Roadkill, the sweet little white bunny.

Tying ourselves to the swamp cooler and you helping me shovel the snow off the roof.

You would get bored playing video games with Nathan Dahl and would play with his little sister. At Christmastime, she sat on Santa's lap and asked for "a Clifton" for Christmas.

Kissing the angel on your mission.

Your signature S that you developed on your mission.

My little boy climbing clear to the top of the mountains at Goblin Valley. All of the sudden, I looked up and saw you up there. I thought you were too little to be doing that, but you were always safe and happy.

Shian said...

You were our walking TV guide.

That long sleeved shirt you cut off to wear under other shirts.

Your mud-stained shirt with the seatbelt mark.

As soon as I thought of you and clothes, the memories just kept coming. You would fold your clothes so precisely. If one of us folded them incorrectly, you would undo it and refold them. Then you would go upstairs and throw them on the floor. Your drawers were empty.

You were a vampire for, like, 10 years.

You were the weirdest kid, you would actually go to bed when you were tired. I've never known any other kid to do that.

Deliliah said...

From Dad:

Jill Huntsman said you and I were siamese twins because she never saw us apart.

When he hunted at Salt Creek and you rode the 4 wheeler for hours and hours up and down the road.

When you showed up in the backyard with that borrowed great, big tire loader.

Erin said...

Hey clif and camey! i'm way glad i can keep in touch wit the fam. this way!!
I remember when i was little you would help Tim hold me, wesley, and nick down while he tried to scrape the "gum" off the bottom of our feet!!!!! haha it tickled so bad!