The Tuesday of the week that Clif got laid off, I picked the kids up from preschool, and drove to the UPS store to drop off a pre-paid package that had been accidentally sent to my house instead of to my friends. They have a drop off box right in the front door and I planned on running in and running right back out. As I pulled into the front parking spot Spencer remembered that the pet store was right next to the UPS store and he really wanted to look at the pets. It was windy and cold and I wasn't wanting to get the babies out, but we hadn't done anything fun in awhile. It takes about 10-15 minutes to get the stroller out, the babies out of their car seats, jackets on, strapped into the stroller, and ready to go. So we drop off the package and come out and low and behold the pet store has moved across town! All of that work for nothing. The only other thing by the UPS store is the China Buffet and we haven't eaten lunch so I decide after a debate within myself to take them. As they are eating, and they are eating really well, and enjoying themselves, I am starting to worry about the cost and feeling guilty. I am eating healthy so only ate a very small amount and no dessert and realized with all we ate we could have taken a box home for about 1/2 the price. However, I keep reminding myself the kids really are eating well and loving the jello and icecream and are really excited, but still I am worrying inside my head. As I am 2nd or 3rds for the kids, this man in about his 40's, who had mentioned how cute my kids were when I came in (they came in so excited and all cheerful), came up to me and said that him and his friend would like to pay for my kids and my lunch. He said it is the season of giving and they would like to do that for me. I don't think I expressed the gratitude that I truly felt in my heart because I was in such shock. However, I will be forever grateful for what they did. It may seem like such a simple thing, but to me it was so much more. We have been trying so hard to catch up (get savings again, stock up on things) for being out of work for so long, but we constantly find ourselves behind. Going out seemed like such a little thing, and it wouldn't have broken our bank, but I was trying to be good and they just made my day. It something I will never forget, it is something that I hope to pass on someday.
Every time when I go out I have to carry both of the twins in the car seats and they are getting so heavy. The worst is when people stare at me holding both babies and trying to open the door while shoving myself and them and my 2 other kids through it, surprisingly it happens a lot. On the other hand, more times then I can count someone has held the door open for me. Today a lady in another office saw me going out of the doctor and she sent her son to go and open the door for me.
We had a family in our ward bring all the kids some gifts and diapers. I had told her that we were fine and even told her of a family that I knew could use it, but I will tell you when she came with the bag and I hugged her, it made me cry. It made me cry just to know that someone cared enough to serve us in that way. Clif is back at work now and I hope it continues so that we can do that for a family next year. Spencer has become a little gift happy and I want him to focus on serving more. I have really tried and even them take one of their gifts to a family who weren't getting many. I talked to him about how this 6 year old boy went hungry for 3 days and when this sweet family found out and bought them food, he said, "Mom, there are angels." I understand Spencer hasn't had to go without food, but I do agree, there are angels out there and I know that I have been touched by so many. That story my friend just told me about is a single mother of 6 and she hadn't told anyone that they had no food. It breaks my heart. I need to remember to be grateful for every tiny thing we have, we have been so blessed, even during our trials.
I am so very thankful that there are people that still care about other people. It is sometimes hard to looks beyond our own worries, trials, and wants, but when we focus on others it can change our perspective 100%. I love to give. I know that sending out Christmas cards and giving neighbors gifts is almost a thing of the past. I often only receive from those I give to and I give much more than I get, but I also worry that I have never given to enough people. I am constantly thinking about more people I could have given a neighbor gift to or sent a card to. I need to remember to have this feeling of giving/service all year round.

12 comments:
Camey, Those are wonderful thoughts you shared and we all need those reminders. I love the story about those men in the restaurant. I am glad there are good people that are concerned for others. Love you, Mom
This made me cry. What nice, nice men. And everyone else.
I love you guys.
Camey I'm so grateful for caring people that have helped you though this holiday season. I'm glad Clif is back to work right now! I hope it keeps up for awhile! Love you!
I didn't know someone bought you lunch. How nice! The world is full of great people.
As I was reading this I remembered something. Spencer's baby blessing said he would never go hungry. I thought that was a very unusual thing for a baby blessing to say, but really cool.
I agree we can never give enough. I need to remember that all year long too.
What a lovely story to have it happen to someone I know makes it even better. I do need a reminder myself to think and do for others more often.
What a fabulous post. I really enjoyed reading it. I love that Spencer said, "There are angels." What a sweet, insightful boy!
Camey, I love reading your blog. I miss hanging out and talking to you every day. You really should call me and we can hang out and let the kids play.
Camey, I love reading your blog. I miss hanging out and talking to you every day. You really should call me and we can hang out and let the kids play.
I was thinking a lot about you this season and wished I was closer. I'm so glad others were thinking of you too. I love this season of giving. You are an amazing mother of all those little ones. I can just picture you walking with a baby in each arm and 2 little ones following. Noh and I love all those pictures of the twins together...precious. Also, tenille and the girls were in Utah while I was home...timing.
What wonderful guys!
What a cool story and great post!! I don't read blogs very often anymore, but am going to try to more and more with the little bit of extra time I have. But I loved this-- So sweet of someone to do that for you. What a great gesture and something to always remember and share with others and your kids. You are always so willing to give- That is how I have always been too. I love giving and would much rather give than receive and yes, how amazing the world would be if we always remembered this all year long. Love ya girl.
Post a Comment