Friday, November 18, 2011

Hike to the T

I have been wanting to hike to the T on the mountain since I heard that it was possible. The only other times I have ever been hiking was when I was a Girl Scout and  for Girl's Camp. Hiking has never interested me, but this is something I really wanted to do. So on September 10th we set out to do it, along with our friends Megan and Josh and their kids Lucy, Talmage and baby Wilkes.

Typical Addy always trailing behind. "Wait up guys!"


Once we got to the top of the hill  (see top picture_ there was a gate and it had a No Trespassing Sign. We debated on what to do and while the Sants's were ready to trespass the Perkins's  knew the owners and thought it may be better to hike another trial. So down we the hill and off to Middle Canyon we went.

Middle Canyon ended up being a wet, but beautiful experience. It was still warm enough outside that the water wasn't bad enough to ruin the experience (which is saying a lot since I hate the wet/sock feeling).Of course had we been prepared we would have brought extra socks and towels, but really it was so fun! It was a perfect hike for kids. It was a great length and the whole time they got to be in the water; a win/win situation!
 Addy really wanted this walking stick. She would have kept it the whole way, if it wasn't making her get farther and farther behind. Plus, it was getting slippery and I needed to hold her hand.
The older kids. When these kids get together it is craziness!
 The Perkins- She is expecting her 4th in April- they will be 12 months apart! Her oldest, Lucy, is a month older than Addy.
This is the only picture where I don't have a double chin and it still isn't a great one of me. However, we are all laughing and I like that. Don't you love the waterfall behind us? So pretty!
 They did this on their own. Time to go home. Let's go... Friends....So sweet.

On Sunday, October 2nd(the day after the twins 1st birthday), after General Conference (the parts we got to see), we decided to go see if we could try and hike to the T one more time. Something I still wanted to do as a family. (Like all my interjections...I can't forget anything, now can I? Every last detail is important).
After asking on facebook and realizing that others started the same place we did, we decided we would give it a try too. (Later realizing that maybe others got prior permission or did it as a church group activity)?

We started out fairly late and Spencer wanted to give up when we weren't even half way done. It was definitely more than a nice, leisurely Sunday hike. I would consider it a pretty steep hike, but I don't think Clif would. I also haven't hiked a lot and maybe I would change my mind if I didn't have to carry a baby the whole way. She put a lot of extra pressure on my back. Regardless I was not going to give up and either was Addy. Spencer constantly wanted to be done, but as long as Addy wanted to try and make it then we kept going. She was such a go getter and was in the front almost the entire way. I have never seen her move quite that fast before. She was super good and really seemed to enjoy herself. I enjoyed getting outside and doing something different with my family. It is so beautiful and peaceful outside, just the way God intended it. 

The really sad thing is, even though we made it to the top, only Clif made it to the T. It was very very step and he said it would be too much for the kids to actually get to the T. I felt bad that they had worked so hard, just to get so close. They seemed confused and disappointed, but they must not have been too disappointed because Spencer will ask if we can hike to the T again. I hope next time we do go that they will actually be able to go to the T. 

While I was waiting for Clif to come down, guess who came up in a four-wheeler? The owner's of the land (of course I didn't realize that at the time)! They were waiting on their son who was up higher on the mountain. They talked to us and couldn't believe how ambitious we were to take 4 young kids on a hike. They were so nice to us and asked if we had a flashlight to get back down the hill because it had gotten pretty dark by then. We continued to talk and then we went on our way. As we were walking down, it dawned on me that they obviously owned this property and we were trespassing! Oh, I was so embarrassed for myself! They obviously weren't threatened, but the least we could have done is explained ourselves! I would apologized and thanked them. I wanted tog o back, but Clif wouldn't let me. Now that I write this, it makes me think I should get their address and write them a note. Maybe then I can find out for the next time we want to hike to the T! Regardless, it was a great experience and one I will cherish for a long time!

Getting ready to go up.

 Same hill we had started up last time.

There is the T.
Clif took a picture of the T once he went up to it.
 The view from where the kids and I sat.
Fun Times!

7 comments:

Shian said...

That's funny that they caught you trespassing.

Sarah Osborne said...

I like the laughing picture :) In my mind, hiking always sounds like such a great idea. So we always end up doing it in the summer...and each time I think, "This really isn't THAT fun." ha ha! But, even now I'm thinking that going on a hike sounds lovely ;)

shawn said...

You are very ambitious!

Gordon and Robyn said...

How fun! I didn't know you guys did that.

Way to go!

Gordon and Robyn said...

You sure have been busy posting :)

Chris and Tara said...

That IS ambitious. I'm so glad you went even though Spencer was ready to go home. :)

Deliliah said...

I'm glad you have friends like the Perkins to go do things with. I like to hike. I'm just a lot slower now. It looks so pretty and hiking gives you time to really notice the beauty of it all.