Monday, July 11, 2011

December 2010

Yes, we did have Christmas and the fact that Christmas is in 6 months has phased me. People say all the time that your kids grow-up fast and I think it is because time goes by so fast! While at times my days and weeks seem to go by so slow, I honestly can't fathom that my babies are almost a year (makes me want more already). I really make an effort to enjoy every moment and stage that my kids are in. The other day I was talking to my friend who had gone to the Women's Conference at BYU (I so want to go). She was telling me how one of the speakers (I believe it was Hillary Weeks) had talked about going to dinner with her 9 year old daughter. While her daughter was talking she realized they will only share this moment right then. She will only be 9 once and you won't get to do it over. I think about that a lot and how I need to cherish the time I have with my kids. I feel I put their needs above my own, but their are times that what I am doing isn't near as important as what I could be doing with them. I know them getting married is so far off, but I do think about it. I don't want my kids to move away like I did. My mom doesn't have any children or grand kids close by. She spent the 4th of July all alone while my dad was on a business trip. So before I know it they will be all grown-up and as we talked about in church today it my responsibility to teach them the right ways. It's my responsibility for them to hear "it" (gospel principles, etc.) in my house first. It is my responsibility to nurture and love them, to be patient, and to enjoy these precious moments I have with them. I don't ever want to look back and regret that I didn't rub their backs when they wanted me to or wish I had spent more quality time with them. My kids will leave my house each morning with a kiss, hug, and knowing that they are loved. I know I went off on a tangent, but I have been trying to share my thoughts more freely. I think it is important that my kids know how much I care about them and how hard I try to be a good mother.

On November 23rd, the kids help set-up the Christmas tree for their first time. It was always my families tradition to put the tree up after Thanksgiving dinner. I don't think we have been able to carry out that tradition yet for some reason or another. Although, it wasn't necessarily the day that matters, but the memories that come from putting the tree up together as a family. They put on a lot of the ornaments themselves and had a great time doing it. This year I want to invest in some good Christmas cds that we can play when we are doing it and around the house all month long.



On December 16th my mom and I took the kids to the mall to see Santa. I thought Spencer wasn't going to be scared this year, but he still was. He had previously seen him at the mall and wanted to tell him what he wanted, but wanting to and doing are two different things. Addy went right up to Santa and told him what she wanted: a pony house.

I love this picture! Her cute little boots and short hair. She gets so many compliments when her hair is short. I think it fits her personality perfectly. She wants to grow it out, so we will see what happens.


I get super duper excited about giving gifts, so it is probably harder for me to wait than the kids.My parents always let us open up a gift or two on Christmas Eve (usually pajamas for the night). We also had a calendar with a mouse that we would move each day during the month. Towards the end of the month my brother and I would switch off and get to go on a scavenger hunt. There would be several really good clues and at the end would be something small that we wanted/needed. I really need to get a calendar like that. I also need to be creative like my mom and start coming up with some good clues for this year.
Last year I let them open up a gift each day starting on December 20th leading up to Christmas. It was really was fun to watch and it also allowed them to enjoy some of their gifts individually and not all at once. I do realize it is not all about gifts. I was thinking this year we would have one week and focus on service, one week to focus on the life of Christ/the story of his birth with acting out the story and other activities, and one week to do the scavenger hunt. I also want to read the story on Christmas Eve and have each of us give Jesus a gift of something he would want. For example: I will pray every night before I go to bed.
Back to the point...Here is the first day I let them each open one of the gifts from my mom and dad. They both got Toy Story Legos and they played with them for a good long time.

 

On the 24th we painted snowflakes and put glitter glue on them. We also made tree ornaments. Spencer's tree has a frowny face, "Because it has no presents under it." Too cute!!
With ClifClif has always been so good about helping me get the sleep I need. Which is why Addy is wearing a striped sweater, plaid skirt, polka dot tights, and high top sparkly shoes! So doesn't go together, but so sweet that he tried to make her look so cute!


We also went to Salt Lake to look at the Christmas lights. Driving around and looking at all the huge homes and their lights is one of my most memorable times as a kid. We went to two different places and the kids really enjoyed them, but I hope to find some more exciting places to go next year.

On Christmas Day we opened gifts and then headed to Papa and Grandma Lila's home. We didn't end up staying too long as Haleigh had a cold and I was getting extremely nervous with all the little kids holding her. I am normally not so paranoid, but with RSV season and preemies at a bigger risk I was definitely more paranoid!

Santa came and at the milk and cookies too!
The kids are awake.
Opening gifts. Spencer got a lot of toy story characters. Addy got a lot of My Little Ponies and princess items. Santa suprised Spencer and also brought a Batman Cave.

New shirt and tie I asked my parents to get for him when they were here visiting.

They got sleeping bags from my dad. Spencer immediately curled up on it. They sleep with them every night and play with them every day! By far their most used gift.
When my dad and Clif went to Cabellas, my dad said Clif kept going back to play this hunting game. I found it on amazon and my parents bought it for him. Boy was he surprised!

Princess shoes to go along with her princess dress-ups.

Ready to go to the ball!
 

Christmas at Grandma Lila's and Papas house. Not dressed very festive are they?
 Poor Haleigh has the saddest face.

Grandma Lila wanted to get all the grand kids in their Santa hat. None of the kids were having it. Ollie didn't want to wear the hat, the twins were upset, and Addy was crying for who knows what reason! This is the result:

Spencer was just sitting there while the chaos was going on, so we got some good ones of Papa and him!

A cute picture of Addy on the steps. Shian always gets the best smiles out of my kids.
Merry Christmas 2010!

6 comments:

shawn said...

I hadn't seen the toy story lego video. They are cute when they play...especially when Spencer helps himself to Addy's horse and takes it right out of her hand...and she doesn't fuss or say a word. Funny kids, neither one misses a beat while they play.

shawn said...

I like the Santa hat episode at the Sants. That is definitely the true spirit of Christmas when most of the grandchildren are three and under, except for Gavin of course.

Camey said...

I didn't even notice he did that in the video. Sweet Addy!

Gordon and Robyn said...

Merry Christmas! This year there will be another baby to try to put a Santa hat on.

Chris and Tara said...

Oh, I'm so glad you posted this. What fun memories you're making with those cute kids. I know that my favorite memories are the ones with family involved rather than toys (although I have a few good toy memories, too). Can't wait for this Christmas. :)

Sarah Osborne said...

Never too late to post! I try to post everything too, because I'm going to have one of those blog printing companies turn my blog into our family journal periodically. That Christmas card is just too adorable. You can't beat matching twinners!