Monday, July 25, 2011

Addelyn's Surgery

Last Friday, July 15th, Addy got her tonsils and adenoids out. We had to be at Primary Children's at 6:30 in the morning(meaning we had to leave at 5:30). Which on a good day wouldn't sound fun for me, but with staying up late to pack for the weekend trip to Logan and the anxiety of her operation/Spencer, I only got an hour of sleep. Let's just say I am a worrier by nature, which is why I was worrying about Spencer and Addy being separated for the first time ever. However, I feel that I stay calm really well for my kids and I rely a lot on pray.

Here is Addy in the car getting ready to go to Primary's. She looks really good for so early in the morning!


Once we got there and registered, it was just a waiting game until surgery. Here she is playing in the first waiting room in her new pajamas and twin baby dolls.


When they called us back they had Addy change into some generic hospital gowns. Oh was she not happy! Of course my child would be the one more worried about what she was wearing then the surgery itself. (Not that you would know this from how I dress, but have always loved clothes and love to dress my kids cute).
When I was little I went with my parents and brother to the Open House of the Denver, Colorado Temple. At the time you had to put these blue slippers on your feet in order to go in. I refused to go in and no matter what my parents said I would not budge. Eventually, they agreed to let me dad carry me (what a great dad).

This is not a staged frown.
 She cheered up once we got to the next waiting room and saw all the other kids in their gowns too.


The most memorable experience from this day was a little girl in the waiting room. Her parents had talked to us previously when they saw us with the twins, because their daughter was a twin too (so far she was the first to get her tonsils out). Well, she had been given something for her anxiety of the situation (they ask you if your child will need this when the nurse brings you back) and she was such a hoot! She is was basically having a party with herself and laughing! (Probably what a kid would be like if they got drunk). She was definitely relaxed....which got me worried that I hadn't had Addy have it. However, when they came to get her she did a great job! I walked with her until the yellow line and then they took her hand and walked away. I couldn't get my camera our fast enough, but it was really a cute sight; this tall anesthesiologist holding my small little girl's hand. 

The surgery went rather quickly and everything went really smoothly. Dr. Ventura said everyone just loved and doted on Addy. I was anxious to see her because they warned me that some kids are very upset afterwards and I didn't know what to expect. 

She was very tired and very quiet- of course she wasn't feeling well. She had some "angry" moments where she wanted out of the bed so I could hold her and when she didn't want me making her drink anymore, but other than that she was great! 



We had to stay there for awhile because she couldn't keep anything down and they wanted to make sure she could drink 4oz. before she left. After she got all the blood out of her we convinced her to drink all of her juice so she could go see Papa.
 Clif took this picture...poor girl.
 Haleigh & Allyson oblivious to what is going on.

She had a hard next few days, mainly due to the Lortab. It would make her sleepy, but then she wouldn't want to sleep because she felt better and she would have some nasty tantrums. The first day (Friday) it was all about me and her. She was just in pain and not feeling well, understandably of course. Saturday, she was not happy with me for awhile there (Lortab). Sunday she insisted on going to church and so she we went to Sacrament and the first part of nursery. I think she really wanted to give Sister Cook her thank you card for the get well gift she had brought. Then Monday she took a long nap, but was basically feeling really well. I rotated Tylenol and Ibprofen on Monday and then for the rest of the week she didn't need anything. She is doing so well and even slept in until 9:30 the other morning- I wish every morning was like that!
I am so glad she healed so quickly and I am so hoping I don't have to do anything like this again, I don't think my mom's heart can stand it (or mine)! However, while we were in the waiting room there were so many parents there with their kids that had much more serious surgeries. One of the girls was in a wheelchair and her surgery was going to be 5 hours long. I saw many kids with different problems and I realized how grateful I am to have 4 beautiful, healthy babies. I don't want to ever take that for granted. We are so blessed! I can't wait to have more!


Here she is on Sunday. Still as sweet as ever, she sure loves her brother! 




6 comments:

Heather Palmer said...

I can't believe she did so well! Ty screamed coming out of surgery for over a hour. The good news is Ty has a lot less colds since his surgery. I'm glad it's over!

Shian said...

That frown over the pj's makes me laugh every time. I'm glad she healed quickly and is back to normal Addy.

Sarah Osborne said...

Pooor Addy :( That frown is the best. TAN TAN TAN TAN TAN. That's all I have to say.

Gordon and Robyn said...

I love her frown! soooo cute!

Deliliah said...

She had such cute pjs on before the ugly grown. That would make we frown to, but nearly as cute a frown as Addy's.

Chris and Tara said...

I love that you pointed out that the frown was not staged. That makes it all the more precious. I'm so happy everything went so well. How did Spencer do away from Addy?