Sunday, September 16, 2012

Addy's Talk

I teach Addy's sunbeam class in church and it was there there turn again to do prayer, scripture, article of faith, and a talk in sharing time. Last time I assigned Addy to do the scripture and when we got up there she wouldn't read it. This time (to pass out assignments) it was Labor Day weekend and there were only 4 kids in class and no one wanted to give the talk. I asked Addy if she could be brave and give the talk and she agreed. 

This week has been a stressful one and I didn't get around to writing a talk until late Saturday night. I wasn't sure how to take the topic, "How the Ten Commandments Teach Us to Love God and His Children" and turn into a simpler kid talk. I asked my mom if she would help me and she wrote Addy a beautiful talk. I can't express the weight this took of my shoulders. I know writing a kid talk really isn't a huge deal, but I was having trouble focusing with our current situation overriding all other thoughts.

Today I printed out some pictures and practiced the talk with Addy two times. I curled her hair and tried to encourage and make her for comfortable about giving the talk. When it came time to give the talk I was a little shaky thinking she wasn't going to do it, but she did and she did a great job! I was very proud of her, but what made me more proud was when she shared her hard earned candy (from the primary presidency for giving a talk) with her brother. 

Here are the words as she is kind of hard to understand at parts.

There are rules to be followed when riding a bicycle, like wear your helmet and watch out for cars.
Our Heavenly Father has given us rules that are even more important.  These rules are called the Ten Commandments and they are for everyone to follow.
The first four commandments teach us to love God.  They tell us to worship only God and to love and serve Him.  We do this by reading our scriptures, saying our prayers and going to church.
The rest of the commandments teach us how to love each other.  We do this by listening to our mom and dad, not hurting anyone, always telling the truth, remembering to be kind and loving and to share with one another.
The Ten Commandments could also be called "The Ten Ways to Be Happy" because if you follow them, you will be happy.
Our Heavenly Father gave us Ten Commandments to help us to remember to love Him and to love each other.

8 comments:

Camey said...

Good job Addy! Love you, Grandma White

shawn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gordon and Robyn said...

good for her! Ollie told me "Addy is a princess!"

Sarah Osborne said...

Way to go, Addy! That's a cute little talk your mom wrote. It was so nice of her to write it for you...sometimes little tasks can seem daunting when you have so much else to do!

Shian said...

What a thoughtful act of service from your mom! That was a great talk and Addy did a great job sharing it.

Keely said...

Thats funny, Molly was assigned to give this talk too on the same sunday as Addy. I felt the same as you....I was kind overwhelmed with writing her talk and by the topic. Not that it was hard, just trying to come up with a sunbeam talk for such a big topic. That was sure nice of your mom to help!!!

Deliliah said...

Your Mom wrote a great talk for a sumbeam. I could not have writen one on the subject. I'm so glad she could help you. Addy did a good job giving it. Your pictures were great.

Chris and Tara said...

I'm going to ask your mom to write my next talkk. :) She did great and so did Addy. I'm glad you took a video. I would never have thought of that.