Saturday, July 31, 2010

Latest Update on the Twins


I started this post awhile back and now I wish I had finished because I have forgotten some of the details! It is going to be long, but I want to make sure I write everything that has happened.
 On June 16th I went in for an ultrasound and doctor appointment. I was feeling pretty confident with the girl's health, as their measurements were coming up as exactly as many weeks as I was at the time. I also had stopped worrying about them having twin to twin transfusion syndrome since a blessing I had when Clif got laid off. It was really reassuring to their health and it gave me a lot of peace about their well being.

So to say I was surprised, when my midwife came in and told me they might have twin to twin transfusion, is an understatement. She never said they had it, but that they were becoming more asymmetrical. She said I few other things that I really couldn't wrap my head around....crying and being by myself didn't help much either. My doctor then came in and scheduled and ultrasound for the next week saying it is better to be on the safe side.

I was really emotional for the rest of the day. It was a long day at the U of U (close to 5 hours) and I think being tired made my emotions that much stronger. Of course, I couldn't just worry about them, I had to worry about the possibility of going to LA to get the surgery done and the expense of that. I worried about pretty much everything because that is the way I am. I was finally able to sleep when Clif gave me a blessing and I was reminded that things would be okay. I needed to remember to trust in Him no matter what happens or what needed to be done.

I then went in for an ultrasound on the 23rd of June and the 7th of July. On the 23rd I was able to talk to the radiologist and she made me feel much better. She said their fluid was still the same as the week before (which is what was asymmetrical) and that they didn't have twin to twin transfusion, but were monitoring so it didn't become that way. I am sure that is how it was the entire time, but she was able to explain it much better and I went away from the appointment feeling much better. On the 7th, I didn't talk to the radiologist, but the technician looked up the babies weigh for me and they were 1lb 6 oz (Allyson) and 1lb 3 oz (Haleigh). I was so relieved to see them so close in weight, for the first time in awhile.

My next doctor appointment was on the 14th of July and he confirmed that things with the twins were looking much better. I also got to hear their heartbeats, on the doppler, for the first time since being pregnant! They usually just get the heart rate during the ultrasound and I never get to hear it. My midwife took my measurements and I was at 33cm, which usually means how many weeks you are. My doctor said that only works in singleton babies, but regardless I am still measuring 33cm! I was also measuring small with Addy and I think the biggest I ever got with her was 34!

Next, I had an ultrasound and doctor appointment this last week on the 28th. Before my ultrasound, I had to drink the juice for the glucose test. It was the worst experience I have ever had with it. It made me sick for that whole night and the next day. With Spencer I drank the red kind, thinking it would be like fruit punch, boy was I wrong. I felt so nauseous drinking it within the 5 minutes they give you. It was not a good experience. Then with Addy, I chose the orange kind and didn't have a problem at all because it tasted more like orange soda. At the U of U you don't get a choice, they only have the red kind and I think it was worse than the kind I had with Spencer. I also ended up having to get my rhogam shot for having negative blood type, so it was a fun filled day for me :) On a positive note, it was the first time I wasn't sore from it fore the rest of the day! Maybe though the combination of the drink and the shot is what made me so sick.

During the ultrasound I could see that Haleigh was small again, but I still felt very calm and didn't worry about it once. Allyson was at 2lbs 2oz (or maybe 5 oz...I forgot) and Haleigh was at 1lb 10oz. Dr. Draper says that puts them in the 45th and 19th percentiles. He wasn't concerned enough to have me come in the next week for an ultrasound. He said as long as she stays above the 10th percentile then he is not worried. If she goes below it then we will have to talk about an early delivery. A little part of me was excited about the idea of delivering early. Of course, then I thought about how small they would be and how much better it is for them to be born as close to 37 weeks as possible. I wish there is something I could do to help them stay in longer, but it is out of my control. I just have to pray that Haleigh gets an equal amount of food as Allyson. They both were so wiggly during my ultrasound and practically on top of each other, that I could only tell who was who for seconds at a time. I feel them move constantly so it doesn't surprise me to see them being so wiggly. I sure can't wait to meet these two little girls!

Ultrasounds from 6/16
Baby A- Allyson's Profile
Allyson's legs and stomach

Haleigh's legs and hand
Baby B- Haleigh's Profile

Ultrasounds from 7/7

Allyson's profile


Haleigh's Profile

Ultrasounds from 7/28

Allyson's Profile

 
Allyson crossing her legs

Haleigh's Profile

Haleigh's Leg

3 comments:

Chris and Tara said...

I'm so sorry about all the stress you've been going through lately. I'm happy to hear the girls are measuring well. We still pray for you every day. We love you all so much!

Shian said...

Ultrasounds are so amazing! I'm praying for you and those little babies.

Deliliah said...

I can't wait to hold them in my arms and see them with my eyes.